Saturday, June 5, 2010

I turn around with a pretend sigh and my hands ready to autograph, only to be asked to move so the person behind me can reach the tomato soup.

Paulina Porizkova blogs about being a "once-attractive, now-aging wom[a]n with no other credits."

I disagree about the "once-attractive" part, I feel she still is, in many ways moreso.

Excerpt:

To compound the problem, the fact that I was once famous makes it really hard on my ego to go and get a normal job. I wasn't kidding when I mentioned working at Starbucks in a previous blog; I really would go and do part-time if it wasn't for my ego. (It's bad enough to have the postman hand me the mail and ask me to tell that "hot model" that lives in my building that he had a poster of her twenty-five years ago.) I have worked every day since the age of fifteen, supporting not only myself, but also helping a sizable family when needed. My career has an umbilical cord straight to my self-esteem. Too bad I have very little control over being desired or desirable. After I was the first to get kicked off "Dancing with the Stars" in 2007, and my book failed to sell all that much, and I couldn't get on "The View" no matter how much I begged, and I got fired from "America's Next Top Model," I spent the rest of the year feeling a bit sorry for myself while knitting and shouting comments at morning TV shows.


(It's too bad about her book--it was much better than I expected, and I said as much on its Amazon page.)

No comments: